Determine whether District officials properly monitored and safeguarded information technology (IT) assets.
- At the time of our initial visits to nine District buildings, we were unable to locate 146 of 475 IT assets tested (31 percent).
- It took between 11 and 55 days from our initial visits for officials to locate 80 additional IT assets.
- Because of inaccurate inventory records, District officials were unable to locate the remaining 66 IT assets (14 percent).
- Implement policies and procedures to properly account for all electronic devices throughout the District.
- Ensure that all fields previously established on the IT asset inventory system are filled out to properly track purchase order date, cost, and current location of asset.
- Designate staff to be responsible for accounting for inventory, and updating the records to ensure the assets are accurately accounted for.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.