Determine whether District officials provided effective oversight to ensure compliance with required building safety at the junior-senior high school (JSHS).
District officials did not:
- Fix leaks in the HVAC system requiring buckets in the halls to collect leaked water.
- Create a corrective action plan to address the deficiency found in the 2015 building condition survey.
- Implement a detailed plan to address the current leaks in the HVAC system and the ongoing system deterioration.
- Institute a comprehensive maintenance plan for all major building systems.
- Ensure that a visual building inspection is performed in any years deemed necessary by the New York State Commissioner of Education (Commissioner) and needed repairs are completed or scheduled in the capital plan.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action. Appendix B includes our comment on an issue that was raised in the District’s response letter.