Determine whether District officials implemented a system to ensure that noninstructional payroll was properly segregated, authorized and recorded and overtime was adequately documented and supported.
- The transportation department’s payroll was not adequately approved, supported and documented.
- Payments to the head bus driver were not always properly approved, calculated and documented.
- The Union President received an additional hour of overtime pay daily that was not properly supported by documentation.
- Direct supervisors should review and approve all time cards.
- Ensure that employees punch in and out each time they start and end their work shifts.
- The District could have potentially reduced overtime costs by $10,320 if it had used part-time bus monitors and drivers instead of bus mechanics.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.