Determine whether Greenwich Central School District (District) officials adequately safeguarded extra-classroom activity (ECA) funds and collections and disbursements were properly accounted for.
District officials did not ensure that ECA funds were adequately safeguarded or that ECA collections were always properly supported. ECA disbursements were properly accounted for.
- The faculty auditor did not adhere to the District’s ECA policy, which resulted in insufficient oversight of and inadequate reviews of ECA collections and records.
- The student treasurers did not maintain adequate supporting documentation for:
- 32 of the 70 collections reviewed totaling $30,970 (69 percent), which prevented District officials from determining whether the collections were remitted intact and in a timely manner.
- Three of the seven fundraising events reviewed, which prevented District officials from ensuring all the ECA clubs’ fundraising activities collections were properly supported.
- Ensure the faculty auditor reviews ECA records.
- Ensure that student treasurers maintain proper supporting documentation for all ECA club collections and fundraising events.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.