Determine if extra-classroom activity (ECA) funds were properly collected, recorded, remitted, deposited, disbursed and reconciled.
ECA funds were not properly collected, recorded, remitted, deposited, disbursed and reconciled. The District did not have proper procedures or a faculty auditor.
- Collections totaling $5,767 were not recorded in the accounting records and were not deposited in the bank and collections of $845,258 were missing key support.
- Records to support transactions totaling $134,449 were missing and 95 payment request forms totaling $66,149 either had no supporting documents or the support lacked key information.
- ECA bank reconciliations from a middle school were performed incorrectly, resulting in balance errors totaling as much as $9,370 that went undetected and uncorrected.
- The last six ECA external audits resulted in qualified opinions because records were not adequate to permit an audit.
- Central treasurers should ensure that all collections and disbursements are accurately accounted for, supported, approved and reconciled.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they are taking corrective action.