Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the Town’s financial condition for the period January 1, 2012 through August 12, 2015.
The Town of Elmira is located in Chemung County, has a population of approximately 6,940 and includes the Village of Elmira Heights within its boundaries. The town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2015 were approximately $3.63 million.
- Town officials have not developed a multiyear financial plan.
- The Town’s total unrestricted fund balance remains high.
- The Board has not developed adequate plans to improve the financial condition of the town-wide general fund and the traffic district fund, both of which have fund balance deficits.
- The Board did not receive regular reports of cash flow balances by fund.
- Develop and adopt a multiyear financial plan for long-term operating and capital needs.
- Adopt policies and procedures to govern budgeting practices and the reasonable level of fund balance to be maintained in each fund to meet the Town’s needs.
- Implement a plan to eliminate the fund balance deficits.
- Provide the Board with monthly cash flow projections for each fund.