Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to evaluate the Town’s financial management for the period January 1, 2014 through March 31, 2015.
The Town of Pamelia is located in Jefferson County and has a population of approximately 3,160. The Town, which is governed by a five-member Town Board, has eight water special districts. Budgeted appropriations for 2015 totaled approximately $1.5 million.
- The Town accumulated excess fund balance primarily because the Board underestimated revenues by more than 60 percent from 2012 through 2014.
- The water special district fund has had a deficit unrestricted fund balance for the past three years.
- The Board did not develop a comprehensive multiyear financial and capital plan.
- The clerk does not maintain detailed revenue and expenditure subsidiary ledgers or a general ledger to support the balances reported to the Board.
- Adopt budgets with realistic estimates for revenues and fund balance available for appropriation.
- Develop a fund balance policy that establishes a reasonable amount of fund balance to maintain in each fund.
- Develop and adopt a comprehensive multiyear financial and capital plan.
- Provide additional oversight of the clerk.