Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the financial operations of Ausable Water District 2, Ausable Water District 3 and Ausable Sewer District 1 for the period January 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015.
The Town of Ausable is located in Clinton County and has a population of approximately 3,150. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2015 totaled approximately $2.1 million.
- Town officials could not monitor each district’s financial operation because the Board did not develop individual budgets for each of the districts.
- The Town did not enter into a written agreement with the Town of Chesterfield, which bills, collects and enforces charges for the three districts.
- The Town of Chesterfield did not assess penalties to delinquent accounts.
- Develop individual budgets for each of the water and sewer districts.
- Enter into a written intermunicipal agreement with the Town of Chesterfield.
- Ensure that penalties are correctly assessed on all delinquent accounts.