Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the Town’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2015 through April 29, 2016.
The Town of Cincinnatus is located in Cortland County and has approximately 1,040 residents. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for the general, highway, water and lighting funds total $656,407 for 2016.
- The Board has not updated its procurement policy in almost 20 years and did not ensure that Town officials and employees followed it.
- The Board did not ensure that all claims were properly audited and approved before payment.
- The Board did not ensure that an annual audit was completed for the departments that received or disbursed funds.
- Annually review and update the procurement policy, as necessary, and ensure that the requirements for competitive bidding, obtaining quotes and the related documentation to be maintained are communicated to and complied with by Town officials and employees.
- Ensure that deliberate and thorough audits of claims are conducted prior to payment.
- Ensure that the financial records of all Town officials and employees who receive or disburse Town funds are audited annually.