Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to assess the Town’s IT policies and procedures for the period January 1, 2015 through December 22, 2016.
The Town of Ithaca is located in Tompkins County and has a population of approximately 20,000. The Town is governed by an elected seven-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2017 total approximately $25 million.
- The Town’s IT policy does not address password security, wireless security, mobile computing and storage devices or online banking.
- Town employees did not receive sufficient IT security and awareness training during our audit scope.
- Town officials have not established written data backup policies and the emergency plan does not specifically include IT procedures to maintain day-to-day operations.
- Update the IT policy to address password security, wireless security, mobile computing and storage devices and online banking.
- Require that all staff receive formal IT security and awareness training at least annually.
- Prepare, test and periodically review an IT contingency plan that specifically addresses backup policies and procedures to maintain day-to-day operations.