Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether Town officials used competitive methods when procuring goods and services for the period January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2016.
The Town of New Hartford is located in Oneida County and has a population of approximately 22,100. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Budgeted appropriations for 2017 totaled approximately $14 million.
- Town officials did not consider the aggregate amount to be expended for storm water remediation projects that totaled $401,510 over a two-year period.
- Town officials did not seek competition for three professional service contracts totaling $332,262.
- Town officials did not comply with procurement policy requirements for obtaining quotes and documenting emergency and sole source determinations for 10 purchases totaling $82,928.
- Consider the aggregate amount projected to be expended for the same or similar type of work when determining if competitive bidding is required.
- Seek competition when acquiring professional services.
- Document emergency and sole source purchases as required by the procurement policy.