Determine whether Town of Pawling (Town) officials used a competitive process to procure goods and services.
Town officials did not always use a competitive process to procure goods and services. Officials did not:
- Develop detailed procedures for procuring professional services in their procurement policy.
- Seek competition for professional services obtained from eight service providers paid $342,770 of the 10 professional services tested.
- Competitively bid for sanitation services totaling $186,821.
- Revise the procurement policy to provide a clear method for procuring professional services.
- Procure professional services by soliciting proposals or quotes at reasonable intervals.
- Comply with the Town’s procurement policy and competitive bidding requirements when making purchases.
Town officials disagreed with our findings and recommendations. Appendix B includes our comments on issues raised in the Town’s response letter.