Determine whether Town of Charlton (Town) officials used competitive methods when procuring applicable goods and services.
Town officials did not always seek competition when procuring goods and services. Town officials:
- Made 17 purchases, totaling $67,808, without seeking competition.
- Spent $4,820 on snowplow blades and shoes but could have saved Town taxpayers $2,244, if purchased off State contract.
- Did not always retain copies of other government contracts used to procure goods and services.
- Follow the Town’s procurement policy when making purchases.
- Adequately document actions taken when soliciting quotes and retain documentation, including when using other local government contracts.
Town officials generally agreed with our recommendations and have initiated, or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.