Determine whether the Town of Marathon (Town) Clerk recorded, deposited, remitted and reported collections in a timely and accurate manner.
The Clerk did not record, deposit, remit or report collections in a timely and accurate manner.As a result, the Board’s ability to effectively monitor financial operations was diminished.Had the Board conducted the required annual audits, it may have recognized these deficiencies and taken corrective action.
- Did not maintain adequate records and supporting documentation, including a cash book or duplicate receipts for all transactions.
- Did not prepare monthly bank reconciliations and verify the accuracy of the financial records.As a result, the Clerk’s bank account balance was $6,251 more than it should have been as of April 21, 2022.
- Maintain adequate records, books and related supporting documentation and deposit, remit and report collections to the appropriate parties in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and accountabilities.
- Audit the Clerk’s records, as required.
Town officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they plan to initiate corrective action.