Determine whether the Board and Village officials effectively managed sewer operations by reasonably estimating budgets, ensuring a good financial condition and properly billing, collecting and recording sewer rent revenue.
- The Board routinely adopted budgets that were not reasonably estimated, resulting in operating deficits.
- The Board did not develop and adopt multiyear capital and financial plans or receive comprehensive financial reports.
- Because the Board did not annually audit the Clerk- Treasurer’s financial records, it did not identify errors or inaccuracies in the records.
- Adopt more realistic budgets.
- Develop and adopt written multiyear capital and financial plans.
- Annually audit, or contract with a certified public accountant to audit, the Clerk-Treasurer’s records.
Village officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.