Determine whether the Board of Trustees (Board) provided adequate oversight of Village operations to safeguard resources.
- Incompatible duties are performed by the Clerk/Treasurer and Deputy Clerk/Treasurer with little to no oversight by the Board.
- Competition was not sought for 14 professional services totaling $926,188.
- Water rates were not clearly documented resulting in underbillings totaling $4,065 and overbillings totaling $7,620 for 494 bills during the eight quarters we reviewed.
In addition, sensitive information technology (IT) control weaknesses were communicated confidentially to Village officials.
- Segregate the incompatible duties of the Village Clerk/Treasurer and Deputy Clerk/Treasurer or designate a Board member to review their duties.
- Use a request for proposals or quotation process to award professional service contracts.
- Clearly document water rates and ensure water billings are accurate.
Village officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action. Appendix B includes our comment on an issue that was raised in the Village’s response letter.