Determine whether the Board provided adequate oversight over the Clerk-Treasurer’s duties.
- The Clerk-Treasurer and Deputy Clerk Treasurer perform all cash receipts and disbursements duties with little oversight from the Board.
- The Board has not audited, or contracted for an audit of, the Clerk-Treasurer’s records.
- The Clerk-Treasurer has accrued compensatory time in excess of the 80-hour maximum, worth approximately $23,600.
- Segregate the Clerk-Treasurer’s duties or implement compensating controls such as reviewing bank reconciliations and comparing canceled check images to the Board-approved abstracts.
- Annually audit, or cause an audit of, the Clerk-Treasurer’s annual financial report and supporting records.
- Monitor and enforce policies governing comp time leave accrual that address the accrual, use and payout of comp time.
Except as specified in Appendix A, Village officials generally agreed with our recommendations. Appendix B includes our comment on an issue raised in the Village’s response.