Determine whether Village officials accurately billed customers for water usage and reconciled water produced to water billed.
- Village officials do not periodically read all customer meters to ensure customers are accurately billed.
- The Clerk-Treasurer used an inconsistent methodology for estimating water bills.
- Estimated and customer-submitted water usages used by Village officials to bill customers did not always appear to be accurate.
- 85 percent of the water produced, or 74.9 million gallons, is considered non-revenue (lost) water.
- Develop procedures to measure unmetered water usage and periodically read customer meters.
- Continue to work on identifying leaks and upgrading the Village’s water system infrastructure to help reduce the amount of non-revenue water.
Village officials agreed with our findings and recommendations and indicated they have taken, or planned to take, corrective action.