- Advisory Legal Opinions
- Local Debt Refunding: Procedures for Seeking Comptroller's Approval Relating to Refunding Local Debt Pursuant to Sections 90.00 and 90.10 of the Local Finance Law
- Conflicts of Interest: Municipal Officers and Employees, The Fundamentals of Article 18 of the General Municipal Law [pdf]
- Other Local Government Ethics Resources
- Procurements: Guidelines for the "Piggybacking" Exception to Competitive Bidding under General Municipal Law § 103(16) (Updated July 2016) [pdf]
- How to Apply for Exclusion of Sewer Debt from Municipal Debt Limits (Updated July 2018) [pdf] - Sewer debt exclusions are not automatically granted to municipalities. This 14 page publication describes the procedures for counties, cities, towns, and villages to apply to the State Comptroller for exclusion of sanitary sewer debt from their constitutional debt limits.
- Special Improvement Districts:
- Regulations for Applications for Permission to Establish or to Extend Town or County Improvement Districts and to Authorize Town Sewer, Drainage, and Water Improvements - Part 85, Chapter III of Title 2 the Code of the Rules and Regulations of the State of New York [pdf].
- Town and County Special Districts and Town Improvements
Request these publications from the Division of Legal Services at (518) 474-5586:
- Application Forms for Certain Towns Within the Adirondack Park (1998): These forms are intended for use by those towns within the Adirondack Park that are required to obtain the consent of the State Comptroller to the original issuance of bonds and notes (Local Finance Law, §104.10).
- Competitive Bidding under General Municipal Law, §103 (March, 2010): A research paper discussing the legal requirements in connection with competitive bidding for procurements.
- County District Approval: Legal Requirements and Administrative Procedures for Approval of County Districts - A guide for preparation of applications to be submitted to the State Comptroller for approval of county districts.
- How to Apply for Exclusion of Self-Liquidating Debt (1995): - Describes the procedures for counties, cities, towns and villages to apply, pursuant to Section 123.00 of the Local Finance Law, to the State Comptroller for exclusion of self-liquidating debt from their municipal debt limits (Released January 1995).
- Town Special District Approval: Legal Requirements and Administrative Procedures for Approval of Town Special Improvement Districts and Sewer and Water Improvements - A guide for preparation of applications to be submitted to the State Comptroller for approval.
Several Local Government and School Accountability publications, including certain modules of the Local Government Management Guide, also contain discussions of legal issues.