Skip to Content

Office of the New York State Comptroller’s Seal

NYS Comptroller

Thomas P. DiNapoli

Career Plan

For ERS Tier 1 Members

(Sections 75-f and 75-g)

Credit for Previous Public Employment or Military Service

You may be able to obtain credit for your previous public employment or military service. It is very important that you claim all the service credit you are entitled to receive as early as possible, because records documenting your previous service may be lost or destroyed with the passage of time. You must apply to receive military service credit prior to retirement.

Prior Service

Prior service is any period of time you received salary or wages from a participating employer before that employer elected to participate in the Retirement System.

Service Before Your Date of Membership

You may receive credit for working for a participating employer before you joined the Retirement System.

Military Service

You may be able to receive credit for some or all of your military service. To determine your eligibility and the cost, if any, please send us a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214).

For more information about how to apply, eligibility and the cost, please visit our Military Service Credit page.

Service From a Previous Membership

If you previously were a member of this System, or another public retirement system in New York State, your service may be recredited and your date of membership restored.

For reinstatement to an earlier membership date within Tier 1, or for reinstatement to an earlier membership in another public retirement system, sign in to your Retirement Online account. From your Account Homepage, go to the ‘My Account Summary’ area and click “Reinstate a Previous Membership.” You can also apply by mail by submitting the Application to Reinstate a Former Membership (RS5506) Adobe pdf.