Permanent, full-time employees of employers that participate in the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) must become members of the Retirement System.
Under any of the following four scenarios, however, membership is optional:
- You are appointed to a temporary or provisional position;
- You work less than 30 hours per week, or less than the standard number of hours for full-time employment as established by your employer for your position;
- Your job is supposed to last for less than one year, or you work on a less-than-12-months-per-year basis; or
- Your annual earnings are less than New York State’s minimum wage, multiplied by 2,000 hours.
You are covered by the provisions of Article 14 if you:
- Are a full-time employee in the uniformed service of an institution under the jurisdiction of the New York State Department of Corrections; or
- Are a security hospital treatment assistant under the jurisdiction of the Office of Mental Health who elected this plan before January 1, 1990, or within one year of becoming employed in this title. To elect coverage under this plan, you must complete an election form and file it with us.
Superintendents in an institution under the jurisdiction of the New York State Department of Corrections may be eligible to elect coverage under the provisions of Article 15. Please check with your personnel office or contact us for details.
To join NYSLRS, optional members must complete an enrollment form, which their employer files with the Office of the State Comptroller.