Your retirement benefits are an important part of a solid financial plan. They can help you and your beneficiaries achieve financial security in retirement or in the event of disability or death. Use these tips to help you stay informed about your benefits.
- Register for Retirement Online, a convenient and secure way to review your benefits and conduct transactions in real time. In many cases, you’ll be able to use Retirement Online instead of mailing forms or calling NYSLRS. Members can view benefit information, update contact information, view and update beneficiaries, apply for a loan, estimate your pension, request to purchase service credit and apply for retirement.
- Review your Member Annual Statement carefully and notify us of any errors promptly.
- Visit our website to find forms, web presentations, publications, and tips on preparing for retirement, including our 5-Step Plan for Retirement and Retirement Planning Checklist.
- Attend a pre-retirement presentation to learn about the retirement process and discuss post-retirement issues. At your employer’s request, we offer these presentations designed for members within five years of retirement eligibility.
- Make an appointment for a pre-retirement consultation, where you can speak to an information representative to discuss special concerns or request specific information.
- Notify us if your mailing address changes. This is especially important if you leave public employment before you are eligible to retire.
- Subscribe to our blog, New York Retirement News, where you’ll find tools to help you understand your benefits, as well as important retirement news.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for quick tips and updates on a variety of retirement topics.
- Sign up for E-News, our email newsletter, for the latest NYSLRS news and information.
- Read your member newsletter, The Update, for current retirement information and updates on your benefits.
- Contact us with any questions you have about your benefits.