Career Plan

For Tier 1, 2, 5 and 6 Members and Tier 3 Members Covered by Article 11, (Sections 375-f and 375-g)

Ordinary Disability (Section 362)


If you are unable to perform your duties because of permanent physical or mental incapacity, and have ten or more years of service credit, you may be eligible for an ordinary disability retirement benefit.

The Benefit

If approved, this is a benefit equal to the greater of:

  • 1/60th (1.66 percent) of your FAS for each year of credited service; or
  • 1/60th (1.66 percent) of your FAS for each year of credited service, plus 1/60th of your FAS for each year of service you might have earned before age 60, but not more than one-third of your FAS.

The benefit would also include an annuity based on any annuity savings contributions you have made. The mandatory contributions made by Tier 5 and 6 members are not annuity savings contributions, and Tier 5 and 6 members would not receive an annuity based on those contributions.

If you are 60 or older at the effective date of your disability retirement, your ordinary disability benefit would be equal to the benefit that would be payable to you as a service retirement without any reduction for early retirement.

You must select an option for the payment of your disability benefits.


You, your employer or someone authorized with your power of attorney may file your application for ordinary disability retirement benefits. However, employers may not file applications for members receiving Section 207-a or 207-c (General Municipal Law) benefits.

If you are eligible, applications for ordinary disability, accidental disability, performance of duty disability and regular service retirement benefits may be submitted simultaneously. However, your application for ordinary disability retirement must be submitted while you are in service or within 90 days from the date you:

  • Are last paid on the payroll;
  • Are last on an authorized medical leave of absence for up to two years (which may be extended for an additional two years); or
  • Last receive Workers’ Compensation or other similar employer-funded benefits as long as you have not resigned or been terminated from employment while receiving those benefits.