This chapter provides an overview of:
- The Executive Budget which refers to the structure and process of the constitutional system of budgeting in New York State. These responsibilities are provided in Article VII of the State Constitution and Articles 3 and 4 of the State Finance Law.
- The State Comptroller’s responsibility for prescribing methods of accounting are provided in Article V, Section 8 of the State Constitution, and various other sections of the State Finance Law.
- The New York State Financial Cycle.
- New York State Financial Accounting using the budgetary (cash) basis.
- Generally-accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
Guide to Financial Operations