The purpose of this bulletin is to notify agencies of a new process for requesting a stop payment for a replacement, reversal, or exchange of a NYS payroll paper check through PayServ.
Under the current business process, state agencies submit Form AC 3340 to OSC’s Bureau of State Payroll Services through the Uncashed NYS Payroll Checks mailbox for a stop payment, replacement, reversal, or exchange of a NYS payroll check.
Under the new business process, state agencies must submit a payroll check stop payment, replacement, reversal, or exchange request through PayServ; Form AC 3340 will no longer be accepted. Once approved, OSC’s Bureau of State Payroll Services will replace a payroll check through the Statewide Financial System (SFS) to the employee’s address or deceased employee’s next-of-kin. For questions regarding submitting a request through PayServ, please see the Payroll Bulletin No. PIP-008 and the Request Stop Payment job aid.
The Payroll Check Notification Report (see Payroll Bulletin No. 1683) will continue to be posted to the PayServ Bulletin Board weekly to show the status of these transactions. This report will include information going back three months.
Note: For NYS payroll check replacement, the Payee Reference/Invoice No. on the replacement check will be the original check number combined with the original check date on the Payroll Check Notification Report.
Note: This process does not replace the AC 3197, Direct Deposit Delete/Reversal process or form. Direct Deposit Reversals/Deletes requests must submit a completed physical form AC 3197 to the [email protected] mailbox.
This change will be effective November 30, 2021.
OSC’s Bureau of State Payroll Services will review, approve, or deny each payroll check stop payment, replacement, reversal, or exchange request in PayServ. Once requests have been approved, replacement payroll checks will be processed once per week through SFS. These checks will be mailed to the employee’s preferred mailing address located on the Modify a Person page in PayServ.
This functionality is granted in the 'NSA Pay Forms Submitter' role. OSC has provided the NSA Pay Forms Submitter access to agency users. Please see your agency's PayServ Security Coordinator to obtain access if needed.
- Submit all payroll check stop payment, replacement, reversal, or exchange requests through the Request Stop Payment panel in PayServ.
- If the stop payment is for a lost or destroyed payroll check that requires a reversal, please email the completed AC230 to the Payroll Reversal and Exchange mailbox when submitting the stop payment request. If the AC230 is not submitted at the time of the stop payment request, the stop payment request will be denied. Comments must be included in the stop payment request indicating the dates of the overpayment.
- If the stop payment is for a lost or destroyed payroll check that requires an exchange, please email the completed AC1476 and supporting documents to the Payroll Reversal and Exchange mailbox when submitting the stop payment request. Comments must be included in the stop payment request indicating the reason for the exchange (example: death of payee, incorrect payee name).
- Ensure the employee’s address is up to date in the Modify a Person page and verify the selected mailing distribution in the Update Payroll Option page in PayServ.
- If a stop payment request needs to be canceled for any reason, or if a second stop payment and reissue request needs to be requested, please email the Uncashed NYS Payroll Checks mailbox.
Questions should be directed to the Uncashed NYS Payroll Checks mailbox.