The purpose of this bulletin is to explain OSC’s automatic processing and provide agency instructions.
Employees in SUNY 21P and CAL positions who meet the eligibility criteria are affected.
Effective 08/19/2021 for 21P employees, paychecks dated 09/15/2021 and effective 09/01/2021 for CAL employees, paychecks dated 09/15/2021.
Employees in 21P positions as of 08/19/2021 and CAL positions as of 09/01/2021 are eligible.
Automatic Restoration of Contract Pay
After payroll has been processed for Pay Period 11L, OSC will automatically insert a row on the Contract Pay page for the 2021-2022 semesters for employees who, as of 08/19/2021, have:
- A Payroll Status of Active, Leave With Pay, or Leave of Absence; and
- A Comp Rate Code of 21P; and
- An existing Contract Pay record effective prior to 08/19/2021.
The Contract Begin Date is 08/19/2021 and the Contract End Date is 06/08/2022.
Automatic Population of Contract Pay Page
The Contract Pay page will automatically populate for employees who have been Hired, Rehired, Concurrently Hired, Transferred, or had a position change with an effective date of 08/19/2021 or later.
Note: If the employee already has a row on the Contract Pay page effective 08/19/2021, OSC will update the row with the correct Contract Begin Date and Contract End Date. If a row exists with an effective date greater than 08/19/2021, OSC will not update the row but will insert a new 08/19/2021 row.
Automatic Restoration of Additional Pay
Once payroll is processed for Pay Period 11L, OSC will automatically insert a row on the Additional Pay page for the 2021-2022 semesters for employees who, as of 08/19/2021, have:
- A Payroll Status of Active or Leave With Pay; and
- A Comp Rate Code of 21P; and
- An End Date of 06/08/2022 for any earnings on the Additional Pay page; and
- No existing row on the Additional Pay page effective 08/19/2021.
Note: The Effective Date is 08/19/2021 and the End Date is 06/08/2022.
Agency Actions – Termination of Summer Session Employees
Termination of 21P and CAL Employees Who Worked Summer Session in a Different Agency
Employees who worked Summer Session in another agency must be terminated in the agency where the Summer Session was worked.
Termination of 21P and CAL Employees Not Returning for the Fall Semester
Agencies must terminate 21P employees with the effective date of 08/19/2021 and CAL employees with the effective date of 09/01/2021.
Termination of Newly Appointed Summer Session Employees Who Are Not Working the Fall Semester
Agencies must terminate these employees once the Summer Session has completed.
Comp Rate Code Changes
If an employee elects to change their obligation (21P to CAL or CAL to 21P), the agency must ensure that the position reflects the correct Comp Rate Code:
21P to CAL
- Place the employee on a Leave of Absence in Pay Period 11L using the Action/Reason code of Leave of Absence/LOT (Dcr Lv Out) effective 08/19/2021.
- In Pay Period 11L, process a Return from Leave using the Action/Reason Code of Return from Leave/RLV (Rein Leave) effective 09/01/2021.
- Submit a Position Change or notify SUNY Administration to change the Comp Rate Code on the existing position to CAL effective 09/01/2021. SUNY Administration will notify OSC of the Comp Rate Code change on the SUNY Position file.
CAL to 21P
- Submit a Position Change or change to the Comp Rate Code of the existing position to 21P effective 08/19/2021.
- If the employee is Active, submit the Earn Code BAL (Balance of Contract) on the Time Entry page to pay the difference of the 2020-2021 contract for 08/19/2021 to 08/31/2021.
Note: OSC will automatically populate the new contract row on the Contract Pay page.
Reporting Retroactive Changes in Comp Rate Code
21P to CAL
- Place the employee on a Leave of Absence effective 08/19/2021.
- Return the employee for the leave effective 09/01/2021.
- Request a Position Change to move the employee into a CAL position or notify SUNY Administration to change the Comp Rate Code of the existing position to CAL effective 09/01/2021.
- Since earnings on the Additional Pay page will be automatically ended effective 08/19/2021 when the employee is placed on Leave of Absence, agencies must restart earnings effective 09/01/2021.
- Determine the total amount previously paid as a 21P and set up an overpayment for the same amount on the Additional Pay page using Earnings Code Q21.
- Enter an explanation of the overpayment of the General Comments page.
- If the change in Comp Rate Code is reported after Pay Period 11L is processed, submit RGS for all retroactive CAL earnings due from 09/01/2021.
Note: In most cases the amount paid as a 21p contract pay employee will exceed the CAL earnings.
CAL to 21P
- If the employee was previously hired effective 09/01/2021 as a CAL:
- Request a DTA/COR (Date Change/Correct History) effective 09/01/2021 and enter the following statement in the Status Reason block: “Please change the hire date to 08/19/2021 because the employee should be 21P.”
- Effective 08/19/2021, request a Position Change to move the employee into a 21P position and enter the following statement in the Status Reason block: “Please change the effective date of this row to 08/19/2021 as the position number must be inserted as a new row following the corrected 08/19/2021 hire row.”
Note: The Contract Pay page will be automatically populated when the Position Changed is approved and inserted on the Job Data page.
- For earnings on the Additional Pay page, request a DTA/COR and enter the following statement in the Status Reason block: “Please change the effective date of the earnings on the Additional Pay page to 08/19/2021.”
- If the employee was on the payroll as a CAL prior to 09/01/2021:
- Request a Position Change effective 08/19/2021 to move the employee into a 21P position. Request Position Changes for all subsequent rows on the employee’s Job Data page; or
- If remaining in the same position, reclassify the position for a change in Comp Rate Code effective 08/19/2021.
Note: The system will automatically populate the Contract pay page when the Position Change is inserted on the Job Data page.
- For earnings on the Additional Pay page, request a DTA/COR and enter the following statement in the Status Reason block: ‘Please change the effective date of the earnings on the Additional Pay page to 08/19/2021.”
Note: The regular Additional Pay earnings previously paid as a CAL will be automatically deducted from the 21P earnings due.
- If the employee worked in the 2020-2021 school year, the agency must submit a Balance of Contract on the Time Entry page using the Earnings Code of BAL to pay the CAL earnings due for the period of 08/19/2021 to 08/31/2021.
When Agencies Must Enter Additional Pay Information in Pay Period 11L
Prevention of Automatic Restoration of Additional Pay Earnings
- To change the amount of Additional Pay, submit a row effective 08/19/2021 with the new earnings amount before the automatic restoration occurs (Pay Period 11L). For 21P employees, the Additional Pay row must include an End Date of the last day of the contract (06/08/2022).
- All Additional Pay earnings must be restarted for employees who move from 21P to CAL.
- To stop the Additional Pay earnings, insert a row effective 08/19/2021 with an End Date of 08/19/2021 before the automatic restoration occurs (Pay Period 11L).
Automatic Population of the Contract Pay After Pay Period 11L
PayServ will automatically populate the Contract Pay page for all 21P employees hired, rehired, or concurrently hired after 08/19/2021. Refer to Payroll Bulletin No. 410.
Agency Actions for Processing CYP Employees
Agencies must submit Contract Dates for CYP employees and begin any necessary Additional Pay Earnings.
Deductions for employees Who Worked Summer Session
Agencies must restart tax-sheltered annuities, federated funds, taxable and non-taxable maintenance, and union insurance deductions effective 08/19/2021 for 21P employees who worked Summer Session.
The Salary Lump Payments (SLS and SLO) are supplemental taxable income, will be included in the employee’s taxable gross and is subject to all employment taxes and income taxes.
Federal, State, and New York City income tax withholding will be calculated using the Aggregate method. Yonkers income tax withholding will be calculated using the Flat Rate method (1.61135% for Yonkers residents and 0.50% for Yonkers non-residents).
Questions regarding payroll processing may be directed to the Payroll Earnings mailbox.