This task removes an employee from the payroll. An employee's termination changes their status and, as a result, what can be done to them in the Payroll System.
- The Effective Date is a Beginning of Business Date. This is the date the employee is no longer eligible for any wages.
- This procedure changes an employee's status in the Payroll System to "Terminated".
- If the termination reason is "Deceased", the effective date should be the day after the employee deceases. The employee's status becomes "Deceased" and the termination date auto-populates as the day before the Effective Date on the Work Location page. The Date of Death on the Biographical Details in the Modify a Person page is updated with the day before the effective date of the Termination/Deceased row on Job Data.
- The Work Location tab is updated as a result of entering a termination. The Payroll System displays the day before the Effective Date of the termination as the Termination Date on the Work Location tab. This Termination Date field is located at the bottom of the Work Location tab on the Job Data page. If the employee is rehired, the Payroll System resets these fields to blank.
- If the transaction is retroactive and the employee is overpaid, the agency must enter comments stating how the overpayment will be recovered. It may be necessary to set up a Qxx code on the Additional Pay page to recover the overpayment from any future monies due the employee.
- A termination transaction automatically ends additional pay earnings (except for OVP or Qxx), adding an end date to the last row of each earnings on the Additional Pay page.
Processing a Termination, Layoff, or Resignation
Main Menu > Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data
- Enter the employee’s Empl ID.
- Click the Search button.
- Insert a new row by clicking the plus sign (+) or Alt+7.
- Enter the desired information into the Effective Date field.
- Confirm the default of "0", or type the next higher Effective Sequence if a prior transaction has taken place on the same effective date.
- Click the Action list.
- Click the Termination list item
- Enter the desired information into the Reason field.
- Click the Save button.
- For retroactive terminations enter a General Comment on the status of any overpayment.
The termination for an employee has been entered.