Required Documentation

If you're submitting your claim by mail, attach the following documentation to your claim form.

Proof of Address

If your current address is different from the address appearing in the Item Details, submit proof of your connection to the old address. Acceptable proof of address includes copies of:

  • Driver's license or non-driver photo ID showing the old address;
  • Birth and marriage certificates;
  • Passport, if it shows old address;
  • Bills and statements such as banking, utility, medical, credit cards;
  • Records such as tax (W2 and 1099 forms), school, insurance, medical, military;
  • Legal papers such as divorce decree, separation agreement and mortgage; and
  • Postmarked envelope.

Proof of Ownership

Acceptable proofs of ownership include copies of:

  • Bank books, passbooks or bank or mutual fund statements;
  • Certificates such as stocks, bonds or bond coupons;
  • Uncashed checks such as money orders, gift certificates or traveler's checks; and
  • Insurance policies.

Proof of Name Change

Acceptable proof includes:

  • Marriage certificate;
  • Adoption papers;
  • Divorce decree; and
  • Court papers.

Proof of Authorization (to sign on behalf of the organization)

  • Corporate Seal affixed to a notarized claim form;
  • Notarized statement from an appropriate officer or partner authorizing the signatory to sign on behalf of the organization;
  • Copy of recent dated cancelled business check; and
  • Certificate of Sole Proprietorship or DBA.

Proof of Name Change, Merger, Acquisition

  • Copy of Certificate of Change filed with the Department of State;
  • Articles of Incorporation showing ownership of the business and name changes;
  • Copy of Merger Agreements; and
  • List of subsidiaries your organization can claim on behalf of, such as IRS form 851, SEC form 10-K or Corporation Annual Report.

Proof of Organization Closed, Dissolved, Sold

  • Certificate of Dissolution;
  • Copy of the sales agreement;
  • Bankruptcy papers; and
  • Notarized statement explaining the disposition of the organization.

Mail to:

Office of the State Comptroller
Office of Unclaimed Funds
110 State Street
Albany, New York 12236

We'll let you know if we need more information. Please don't pay for documentation or services until we notify you that you're entitled to the claim.

When you get your check, please cash it as soon as possible. You have until December 31 of the following calendar year to cash it. For example, a check issued on March 1, 2014, may be cashed until December 31, 2015. If you don't cash your check, it will be reported as unclaimed funds and you'll have to file a new claim.