Collateral Loan/Pawn Brokers

Pawn brokers, also known as collateral loan brokers, are required by law to file several forms with the Office of the State Comptroller. See the table below.

Business Type Form Requirements Fee
New Collateral Loan Broker’s Registration Statement File before doing business $5.00
Established Collateral Loan Broker’s Supplemental Registration Statement File for change in partners, principals, officers or location $2.50
New & Established Unclaimed Property Forms See Handbook for Reporting Unclaimed Funds NA

Reporting Unclaimed Property and Sales

Pawn brokers, or collateral loan brokers, must report unclaimed property and sales—property and money that customers haven’t returned to claim. For help, use our instructional handbook with forms and instructions for reporting abandoned property. For more information, see Report Unclaimed Funds to the State.


Official Compilation Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York
Office of the State Comptroller Rules and Regulations
Collateral Loan Broker's Registration Statement (new filing)
Collateral Loan Broker's Supplemental Registration Statement (personnel change)