Change of Address

Messaging for Customers

It’s important that you let us know if you change your mailing address so we can provide you with information that may affect your existing — or any future — benefits.

Please Note: The United States Postal Service will only forward your mail to a new address for a limited time (assuming you have filed a Change of Address Order with them).

You can change your address online or contact us by telephone or mail. If your new address is a PO box or is located outside of the United States, you cannot change your address by telephone.


Retirement Online

Retirement Online is the convenient and secure way to update your address with NYSLRS. Sign Up or Sign In, then click on the “update” link next to your address on your Account Homepage.

Review your benefits and conduct transactions in real time with Retirement Online



Call Center agents are available every business day from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.

  • Long-distance within the 50 states, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands, call toll-free: 1-866-805-0990
  • Locally within the Albany, New York area, call: 518-474-7736

If you call us, we’ll ask you questions to confirm your identity before we change your address in our records.



Complete and mail the Change of Address form (RS5512), or send a signed letter (include your name, old and new address, registration number or last four digits of your Social Security number, and signature) to:

110 State Street
Albany, NY 12244-0001

Note: If you are receiving retirement benefits from us, please visit our address change page for retirees to learn more.


(Rev. 9/17)