Basic Plan for ERS Tier 1 Members

(Sections 70-a, 71-a and 75)

Ending Your Membership


  • If you do not have at least five years of credited service, and seven years have elapsed since you last worked for a participating public employer;
  • If you leave public employment and voluntarily withdraw your membership;
  • If you transfer your membership to another public retirement system in New York State;
  • If you retire; or
  • If you die.


“Public employment” means paid service as an officer or employee with an employer that participates in the New York State and Local Retirement System.