The New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS) comprises the Employees’ Retirement System (ERS), established in 1921, and the Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS), created in 1966. The System is one of the largest public retirement systems in the world.
The New York State Comptroller is the administrative head of NYSLRS.
The New York State Legislature establishes benefits and the overall methodology used to make sure System assets are available to pay these benefits. NYSLRS administers benefits for more than one million retirees and members.
The Member & Employer Services Bureau (MESB) is the primary contact between NYSLRS and more than 3,000 participating employers. In addition to providing service to employers, Bureau staff processes monthly reports, plan adoptions and employer annual contributions. When you have questions or need help, you can call our employer Help Desk at 866-805-0990 and press 1 to access the employer menu, or send an inquiry using our help desk form.
MESB is the primary contact for participating employers, and is responsible for maintaining the accounts of NYSLRS members.
- Enrolls new members into the appropriate System and tier (employers enroll members as well, using Retirement Online);
- Processes requests for tier reinstatements, previous service credit, withdrawals, transfers, loans, refunds of excess contributions, membership termination and beneficiary, address and plan changes;
- Maintains the records of over 673,000 members before a benefit is paid;
- Provides personalized information for the Member Annual Statements;
- Provides cost information to municipalities that wish to participate or provide improved benefit plans;
- Prepares and distributes the annual invoices to participating employers for the cost of providing their employees with retirement benefit coverage;
- Presents employer information seminars; and
- Processes monthly report information.