Since taking office in 2007, Comptroller DiNapoli has proposed legislation to increase accountability and transparency of New York state and local government. These efforts have focused on reforming not only the investment practices of the Common Retirement Fund, the New York State and Local Employees’ Retirement System, the New York Police and Fire Retirement System, but also the State budget process, state procurement practices and school accountability. Comptroller DiNapoli is committed to strengthening New York’s laws to:
- Ensure accountability, transparency and appropriate spending of taxpayer dollars,
- Stop fraud and abuse,
- Improve the effectiveness of government programs, and
- Protect the interests of New York’s citizens.
Legislative Session 2021 –2022
- Ordinary Death Benefit – S.6619-A (Gounardes) - Increases the age at which the ordinary death benefit commences to be reduced while a member of the New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS) and the New York State Teachers' Retirement System (TRS) is in service to the full retirement age.
- Abandoned Property – A.7742 (Lavine) - Provides coverage for virtual currency, authorizes the promulgation of regulations related to electronic communications, and recognizes the death of an owner as a trigger for dormancy.
- Data Breach – A.7612 (Otis) - Requires the Office of Information Technology Services to notify, within 24 hours following the discovery of a data breach or receiving notice of a data breach or network security breach, the chief information officer or, where appropriate, the chief information security officer of a state entity with which the office shares data of such breach.
- ABLE Residency – A.7652 (Gunther) - Eliminates the New York State residency requirement for designated beneficiaries in the New York ABLE program.
- Direct Deposit for New State Employees – A.7436/S.6617 (Abbate/Gounardes) – Requires the payment of salaries by direct deposit for state employees hired after January 1, 2023.
- Pre-Audit - State Insurance Fund – A.7286/S.7177 (Rodriguez/Krueger) – Relates to the pre-audit of expenditures from the state insurance fund by the state comptroller.
- Natural Gas Damage Compensation Fund – A.7282 (Englebright) – Establishes the natural gas production contamination response and compensation program; and creates the New York natural gas production contamination damage recovery and remediation fund
- Oil Spill – A.7281 (Englebright) – To protect homeowners from the onerous costs related to the remediation of petroleum discharges on residential property.
- Omnibus Procurement Amendments – A.7180/S.6626 (Zebrowski/Krueger) – Relates to participation by state agencies in a system used by the comptroller to compile vendor responsibility information; authorizing the commissioner of the office of general services and state agencies to develop alternative procurement methods not otherwise authorized by law under certain circumstances; authorizing competitive negotiation concluding with a best and final offer; clarifying the use of best and final offers for invitations for bids and requests for proposals for goods, services and technology; clarifying the valuation of non-cash contracts by the state comptroller; and conforming the definition of restricted period.
- Ethical Standards for State Agency Contractors Act – A.7020/S.6616 (Zebrowski/Skoufis) – Establishes ethical standards for certain state agency contractors performing inherently governmental and mission-critical functions or rendering a service or services pursuant to an information-risk contract.