Determine whether internal controls over the Probation Department's (Department) collection, disbursement and enforcement of restitution, fees and surcharges were adequately designed and operating effectively.
Department officials did not:
- Properly assess County fees or adequately monitor and enforce fee collection.
- Establish adequate cash receipt and disbursement procedures.
- Disburse more than $60,000 in restitution payments to crime victims.
- Review and update policies and procedures for the enforcement of County fees and ensure staff properly assess fees and monitor and enforce fee collection.
- Establish adequate cash collection and disbursement procedures for restitution and County fees.
- Establish procedures to disburse undistributed restitution payments in a timely manner.
County officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.