Determine whether the Chenango County (County) Probation Department (Department) officials enforced restitution orders, notified the court when a probationer violated the court order and disbursed victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately.
Department officials did not always properly enforce restitution orders, notify the court when a probationer violated the court order or disburse victim restitution payments appropriately. As a result, some victims are not receiving payments to which they are entitled or are experiencing significant delays.
- Officials did not establish adequate policies and procedures to enforce and monitor restitution obligations.
- Six of the 20 restitution orders reviewed had uncollected restitution totaling $9,492.
- 30 outstanding checks totaling $1,662 were not properly followed up on.
- Officials did not make reasonable efforts to locate victims.
In addition, officials did not make undisbursed restitution payments or maintain sufficient undisbursed restitution records.
- Establish adequate policies and procedures for enforcing and monitoring restitution obligations.
- Provide meaningful oversight.
- Enforce and monitor restitution according to court orders and Department policies and procedures.
County officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.