Determine whether the Franklin County (County) Probation Department (Department) officials enforced restitution orders, notified the court when a probationer violated the court order and disbursed victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately.
Department officials did not always properly enforce restitution orders, notify the court when a probationer violated the court order or disburse victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately. As a result, some victims are not receiving payments to which they are entitled or are experiencing significant delays.
- Officials did not establish adequate policies and procedures to enforce and monitor restitution obligations.
- 16 of the 30 restitution orders we reviewed had uncollected restitution totaling $19,453.
- Officials did not always make reasonable efforts to locate victims promptly.
- None of the 26 outstanding checks totaling $2,918 were properly followed up on.
In addition, officials did not make undisbursed restitution payments or maintain sufficient undisbursed restitution records.
- Establish clear policies and procedures for enforcing and monitoring restitution obligations.
- Provide meaningful oversight.
- Enforce and monitor restitution according to court orders and Department policies and procedures.
County officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.