Determine whether the Putnam County (County) Probation Department (Department) officials enforced restitution orders, notified the court when a probationer violated the court order and disbursed victim restitution payments promptly and appropriately.
Department officials did not always properly enforce restitution orders, notify the court when a probationer violated the court order or disburse victim restitution payments appropriately. As a result, victims may not receive the payments to which they are entitled.
- Officials did not establish adequate policies and procedures to enforce and monitor restitution obligations and the limited policies that were in place were not followed.
- Five of the 11 restitution orders reviewed had uncollected payments totaling $15,149.
- 10 outstanding checks totaling $642 were not properly followed up on and officials did not make reasonable efforts to locate victims with uncashed checks promptly.
In addition, officials did not make undisbursed restitution payments or maintain undisbursed restitution records.
- Establish adequate written policies and procedures for enforcing and monitoring restitution obligations.
- Provide meaningful oversight.
- Enforce and monitor restitution, according to court orders and Department policies and procedures.
County officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.