Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine whether Company controls were adequate to ensure that financial activity was properly recorded and reported and that Company money was safeguarded for the period January 1, 2013 through April 30, 2014.
The West Fort Ann Volunteer Fire Company is a not-for-profit volunteer organization located in the Town of Fort Ann in Washington County. The Company, which is governed by a six-member Board of Directors, contracts with the Town to provide fire protection services to the Town’s western region. Disbursements during 2013 totaled approximately $177,500.
- The Board was not provided with monthly bank statements, bank reconciliations and canceled checks.
- Company bylaws did not provide guidance for issuing receipts for cash collected and for conducting fund-raising activities.
- Company bylaws did not provide guidance for using debit and prepaid cash cards.
- Examine bank statements and reconciliations and compare them to the approved claims.
- Adopt financial policies and implement procedures to account for fund-raising cash receipts and disbursements.
- Implement a policy and procedures for members to follow when using debit and prepaid cash cards.