Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to evaluate the internal controls over the Company’s financial operations for the period January 1, 2014 through March 31, 2016.
The Altona Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. is located in the Town of Altona in Clinton County. The Company, which provides fire protection services to the residents of the Altona Fire District, is governed by 13 officers elected by Company members. During our audit period, deposits totaled $41,695 and disbursements totaled $68,487, excluding transfers totaling $43,500 made between Company bank accounts.
- The Company’s accounting records were not properly maintained and bank reconciliations were not prepared.
- Duplicate press-numbered receipts were not issued to provide supporting documentation for the funds collected during our audit period and checks received totaling $21,181 were not deposited in a timely manner.
- Company officials did not approve 114 disbursements totaling $64,830 before the payments were disbursed.
- The President and Fire Chief periodically signed a series of blank checks for the Treasurer to use for Company disbursements.
- Maintain accurate, complete and up-to-date accounting records and perform monthly bank reconciliations for all Company bank accounts.
- Ensure that duplicate press-numbered receipts are issued or other form of supporting documentation is maintained to account for all Company funds collected and ensure that all funds collected are deposited in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all disbursements are supported by adequate documentation and are for appropriate Company purposes.
- Prohibit the signing of blank checks.