Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to determine if officials provided adequate oversight of financial activities to ensure that resources were properly safeguarded for the period January 1, 2016 through July 21, 2017.
The Walton Fire Department is located in the Town of Walton in Delaware County and provides fire protection and other emergency services to the Walton Fire District residents. The Department is governed by five elected officials. During the audit period, $187,318 was disbursed.
- The Treasurer did not maintain complete accounting records of disbursements, receipts or cash balances.
- Bank accounts were not reconciled and reported to the membership.
- The audit and approval of bills was not properly documented.
- Ensure all transactions are entered into the accounting records.
- Prepare and review bank reconciliations and monthly financial reports.
- Audit and approve bills prior to payment and document the approval in the meeting minutes or supporting documentation.