Determine whether the Board established adequate controls over procurement.
- Department officials generally did not document their efforts to obtain competition for purchases.
- The Board did not establish policies or procedures for the procurement of goods and services.
- Certain officers did not disclose their interest in contracts.
The Board should:
- Ensure Department officials seek, and maintain documentation of, competition for purchases.
- Adopt policies and procedures for the procurement of goods and services.
- Adopt a code of ethics to set forth standards of conduct in accordance with the GML.
Officials agreed with our report and indicated they planned to take corrective action.