Determine whether the Board provided adequate oversight of District operations to ensure financial activity was properly recorded and reported and money was safeguarded.
The Board has not:
- Adopted financial policies or written procedures concerning financial recording and reporting and has not adequately monitored the District’s financial operations.
- Adequately monitored the Treasurer’s books and records to ensure the timely submission of required reports.
- Conducted an annual audit of the Treasurer’s books and records, as required by law.
- Strengthen the control environment by developing, adopting and implementing written policies and procedures for financial recording and monitor the District’s financial operations.
- Review the Treasurer’s books and records and ensure that all required reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the Treasurer annually submits all financial records and reports to the Board for audit.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.