Determine whether Davenport Fire District (District) officials established adequate controls to ensure that financial activities are properly recorded and reported, and cash was safeguarded.
District officials have not established adequate controls to ensure that financial activities are properly recorded and reported, and cash is safeguarded.
- There were no records to support the collection of hall rental receipts. As a result, the Board of Fire Commissioners (Board), the District’s Treasurer (Treasurer) or we are unable to verify whether all hall rental receipts were collected and deposited in a District bank account.
- Complete accounting records were not maintained.
- The Commissioners did not require the Treasurer to prepare and submit reports of the District’s financial activities for them to periodically review.
- The Board is required to audit the Treasurer’s records but does not.
- Establish controls over hall rental activity.
- Prepare and provide monthly financial reports to the Board.
- Annually audit the Treasurer’s records.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they initiated corrective action.