Determine whether the Masonville Fire District’s (District) Board of Fire Commissioners (Board) provided adequate oversight over the District’s financial operations.
The Board did not provide adequate financial operations oversight. The Board did not:
- Review adequate supporting documentation for nine disbursements totaling $57,374.
- Approve 12 disbursements totaling $75,880 before payment.
- Audit the Treasurer’s records.
- Ensure sensitive and personal electronic data was adequately protected because the Treasurer used her personal computer to maintain District financial records and perform online banking transactions.
- Establish adequate oversight controls including reviewing canceled check images, ensuring claims have adequate documentation, auditing claims before payment and annually auditing the Treasurer’s records.
- Ensure that the Treasurer transfers all District records from her own personal computer to the District computer.
District officials agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.