Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to examine the Library’s internal controls over circulation desk cash receipts for the period of January 1, 2013 through October 31, 2014.
The Plattsburgh Public Library is located in the City of Plattsburgh in Clinton County. It is governed by an elected seven-member Board of Trustees. The Library’s 2014 budgeted appropriations were approximately $993,000.
- Although the Board adopted a circulation policy that contains procedures related to collecting cash receipts at the circulation desk, the procedures were insufficient.
- Procedures did not establish which employees were authorized to collect cash receipts or the processes for determining accountability over cash receipts recorded in the system or the cash register and stated that one employee was required to count the cash collected at the conclusion of the day.
Employees did not compare the total amount of cash collected with the cash register tapes.
- Establish comprehensive written policies and procedures that provide adequate guidance and internal controls over collecting and remitting cash receipts received at the circulation desk.
- Ensure that on a daily basis two employees count the cash receipts collected and compare the total with the cash register tapes.
- Compare the amounts collected as recorded in the system and on the cash register tapes with the amounts remitted for deposit and investigate and resolve any discrepancies.