Determine whether Westhampton Beach Union Free School District’s (District’s) clubs properly accounted for, supported, deposited and used extra-classroom activity (ECA) funds.
The ECA clubs did not maintain adequate records. Therefore, we could not determine whether all funds received and disbursed were properly accounted for.
- Deposits were not always supported by school deposit forms or accurately completed bank deposit slips and activity logs.
- Of the collections we reviewed, $82,592 (95 percent) were not supported by a duplicate press-numbered receipt.
- Twenty-one of the 24 ECA clubs did not maintain ledgers.
- Deposit slip compositions did not always match records provided to the central treasurer.
- No profit and loss statements were prepared.
In addition, while ECA clubs provide schools with the opportunity to teach students good business procedures through participation in handling the funds and operating a successful business, District officials did not ensure that students were adequately involved with ECA activities.
- Maintain separate club records including deposit slips, duplicate press-numbered receipts and ledgers and activity logs, and prepare profit and loss statements.
- Ensure activity logs and check copies match the deposit slips before depositing funds.
District officials generally agreed with our recommendations and indicated they will take corrective action.