Determine whether town assessors in Suffolk County are properly administering select real property tax exemptions.
- Assessors incorrectly calculated exemptions granted, some of which included Town-wide errors.
- Assessors granted exemptions that lacked applications or supporting documentation.
- Assessors misclassified or failed to grant supported exemptions.
- Properly apply State equalization rate or other uniform rate of assessment to all properties listed on the Town’s assessment roll.
- Ensure all applicants provide adequate supporting documentation before granting exemptions.
- Annually verify income to support Senior Citizen exemptions.