Purpose of Audit
The purpose of our audit was to review the Town’s accounting records and reports for the period January 1, 2014 through May 31, 2015.
The Town of Elizabethtown is located in Essex County and has a population of approximately 1,160. The Town is governed by an elected five-member Town Board. Expenditures for 2014 totaled approximately $1.3 million for the general, highway and water funds.
- The Supervisor did not maintain complete and accurate accounting records or provide adequate oversight of the clerk to ensure that the accounting records and financial reports she prepared were accurate.
- The Supervisor did not present accurate financial records to the Board.
- The Board did not audit the Supervisor’s records for 2013 or 2014.
- Ensure that the Town’s accounting records are complete and accurate.
- Ensure that monthly reports to the Board are complete and accurate.
- Perform an annual audit of the Supervisor’s accounting records.