Determine whether the Town Supervisor (Supervisor) maintained adequate financial records and reports.
The Town’s financial records and reports were not adequate:
- The bookkeeper maintained two cash ledgers.
- Bank reconciliations were performed inadequately for certain accounts and not at all for others.
The Supervisor did not provide:
- Adequate oversight of the bookkeeper to ensure that records were accurate and up-to-date.
- The Board with adequate financial reports, leading to the deterioration of the general town-wide’s fund balance, which had a deficit of $86,345 as of December 31, 2016.
- Ensure that financial records are complete, accurate and up-to-date.
- Provide effective oversight of the bookkeeper.
- Provide the Board adequate, comprehensive and upto- date monthly financial reports.
- Address the financial problems affecting the general town-wide fund when adopting the 2019 budget.
Town officials agreed with our recommendations and have initiated or indicated they planned to initiate corrective action.