Determine whether the Village of Remsen (Village) Clerk-Treasurer maintained adequate records and reports to allow the Board of Trustees (Board) to properly manage Village finances.
The Clerk-Treasurer did not maintain adequate records and reports to allow the Board to properly manage Village finances.
- Required annual financial reports were not completed or filed with the State Comptroller’s Office (OSC) for any of the last four years (2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19).
- Fund transfers were not properly recorded.
- Inadequate financial reports were provided to the Board.
- The Board did not annually audit the Clerk-Treasurer’s records and reports, as required.
- File the required annual financial report with OSC within 60 days after the close of the fiscal year.
- Maintain complete, accurate, and timely financial records.
- Conduct or arrange for an audit of the Clerk-Treasurer’s records and reports on an annual basis.
Village officials agreed with our recommendations and indicated they plan to initiate corrective action.